I reserved at 10 foot moving truck for local use last Saturday at 9 am. My friends said they'd meet me at my house at 9:30 to help for the day.

When I arrived to pick up the truck, the door was open but the office was closed. i.e. someone must have forgot to lock the door the night before and didn't arrive to work the next day. I called several times in the morning and there was no answer. At 11 am I called another dealer and told them what happened. They put me on hold for 10 minutes and I finally hung up. I called the corporate office in New Jersey. They said they'd try to locate a truck for me. They also said they spoke with my dealer. The dealer supposedly said he offered me a 16' truck because a 10 foot truck was not available. That wasn't true. Even today, there is no answer at that dealer's location. Today is Monday afternoon.

During the weekend, when I called corporate, they said they'd compensate me for my expenses and time. I paid my friends a $100 each because we wasted most of the day. Plus I treated them to lunch.

I called corporate today. Paula was the most pleasant representative I spoke with so far, but she made Budget's policy very clear. When you make a reservation, you're not reserving a truck! You're merely reserving the rate. There is no guarantee that you'll have a truck when you arrive. However if you don't show up to pick up a truck, they charge you $50.

Paula said they don't guarantee a time and they don't guarantee availability. Over 2 days later, they still haven't found a truck. Ironically there were a dozen trucks at their dealer's location - but no one managing the store.

Paula told me Budget could not compensate me for losses due to the fact a truck was not available because they are a 'self serve' moving company. I asked if they would provide me with a free truck for a day ($30 value). She said, 'that's not going to happen.'. At that point I asked if Budget is concerned with their online reputation and bad reviews. Paula was very pleasant. She said Budget doesn't care at all. She said, 'Go ahead and say whatever you want about us. Have a nice day.' I wished her well and got off the phone.

Budget has offices all over the world. I believe that each office is independently owned and it's a franchise but I haven't researched that. They really don't care and don't feel that consumers can affect their profits when they tell the world about how Budget operates.

This is valuable information for potential Budget independent dealers and for people needing a moving truck.

I recommend that you always rent the truck first and give your friends the heads up that you might have a truck. Once you have a truck then invite them over to help you move.

I spoke with 3 or 4 Budget employees at corporate so far. Paula seemed to be the most knowledgeable. Everyone else was clueless with an 'I don't care' attitude. No one apologized. No one said they're sorry. No one said they understood. And no one cared, - especially the company. The employees were just following company policy. Even on this site, as of today, with over 150 complaints and a 1 star rating, Budget hasn't responded to any of the complaints. They don't care.

After writing this review I called corporate one more time to confirm their correct address. I told them I was online writing reviews about their company and wanted to make sure I was complaining about the right company. She said, 'oh ok, a huh, no problem, thanks for calling.'

Here's budget's corporate headquarters. She said they have offices in Canada too.

Avis Budget Car Rental, LLC

6 Sylvan Way

Parsippany, NJ 07054 U.S.

Review about: Budget Truck Rental Truck Rental.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Comments

One of many reasons I quit working for them. Employee morale was low then, and still is, as I continue to hear horror stories from friends who still work for them.